Nonprofit Law/Gifts

Question
QUESTION: We recently held our first annual meeting and a school reunion. The speakers were alumni of the non-profit association. There is one member on the board who feels we should give the speakers a gift paid for by the Alumni Association. They are part of the association and no other person got paid for their hard work for other tasks. What is proper etiquette or how the IRS view such donations to association members.

ANSWER: It depends whether the nonprofit is a 501(c)(3) organization or not. If it is, let me know.  If it is not, let me know under what subsection of section 501(c) the Alumni Association has been recognized by the IRS as.  What organization ran the meeting(s) where there speeches were delivered. After you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: We are not a 501 3c yet. We are in the process of filing paperwork. We provided an Annual Report for members, budget, projects for next year etc. We are trying to reply with IRS requirements for application purposes

Answer
Is the organization incorporated in the State?  What subsection of section 501(c) is mentioned in the articles of incorporation or articles of organization that would limit the organization's activities.  For example 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(7). In other words, is it a charity or a social organization? After you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic