Nonprofit Law/Mission statement accuracy

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I would like to know, is it legal for a 501 c 3 nonprofit, after using it's mission statement to help secure it's 501 c 3 status, to turn around and actively work in a direction that is 180 degrees opposite of it's stated mission? If you need additional information, I will gladly provide it.

Thank you,

ANSWER: You appear to be referring to an organization that applied to the IRS for a determination letter that it is exempt from federal income taxes.  In such IRS Application for Exemption, the organization would have given a description of its activities and proposed activities along with a proposed budget. It is did not lie or make any material misrepresentation, then later, according to IRS regulations, it could change its activities but it must then advise the IRS, in the next Form 990 filing, of the change.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990.pdf (on page 2 at Part III, line 2 which continues onto Schedule 0).

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: The organization in question has been around for 6 or 7 years and still professes to follow it's original mission statement, and it's public image would suffer if it were known that it changed course.

Answer
If it does not file accurate Form 990s then the organization may have issues with the IRS, but other than that, under State law it may be engaged in material misrepresentation, for example if it is soliciting funds for certain projects but not using those funds for certain projects.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic