Nonprofit Law/non-profit donated items

Question
If a non-profit organization receives excess food and perishable donations, and is unable to use them in its mission, can the non profit give or cheaply sell the items to staff members?

Answer
Staff members are employees. The Internal Revenue Code at section 102(a) provides that gifts are
not income.  "Gross income does not include the value of property acquired by gift..."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/B/III/102

However, section 102(c) of the Code has "Subsection (a) shall not exclude from gross income any amount transferred by or for an employer to, or for the benefit of, an employee...."

Therefore, the gifts or discounted sales (which are treated by the IRS as a partial sale and partial gift) are taxable as regular employment income. A nonprofit may engage in those activities but would need to make standard employment tax reports, such as on line one of Form W-2 for "other compensation". http://goo.gl/XEVHT

The IRS Publication 15-B discusses taxable and non-taxable fringe benefits and is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic