Nonprofit Law/Non-Profit Expenditures

Question
Can a non-profit buy material things such as beds, wheel chairs, etc. with donated funds.  I want to start a non-profit organization for my step son who has als.  I want to raise money for a) getting him the medical and everyday life quality things he needs; b) money for his children for education; c) money to help pay the bills, etc). d) raise money for furthering the education of other als patients children.  I live in Florida if that matters.

Answer
An organization established or operating to benefit one named person is not qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization. See pdf page 13 of http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3833.pdf under the heading
"Charitable Class"
--start of excerpt  ---
The group of individuals that may properly receive assistance from a charitable organization is called a charitable class. A charitable class must be large or sufficiently indefinite enough that the community as a whole, rather than a pre-selected group of people, benefits when a charity provides assistance.
--end of excerpt  ---
More details are found starting at pdf page 6 of  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopick99.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic