Nonprofit Law/Non-Profit Memorial Scholarship

Question
QUESTION: We set up a memorial scholarship. We are unsure of the rules of disbursing the monies raised. Is there a percent that we are to disburse?

ANSWER: Do you set up a nonprofit entity in the State? Did the the IRS grant exemption status as a 501(c)(3) organizations?

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Hello, Yes, we set it up with the state and yes we got grant exemption. We raised $24, 000 this year for scholarships and have only given away about $2000. Is there a specific percentage we should be giving out per year or does the board  just use their discretion Thanks you!

Answer
   I am assuming from what you wrote to me that the organization
is not a private foundation (you can confirm that on the IRS
determination letter).

There is no restriction for one or two years of accumulation of
funds.  However, if you do it for many years, then the IRS would
want to see a purpose for the accumulation. On page 126 of the
book "With Charity for All", author Ken Stern, former CEO of
National Public Radio wrote that "the standard benchmark for
charities: having an endowment and operating reserves at least
equal to the annual budget".  Therefore, I could not see any
problem maintaining at least that amount.

A 501(c)(3) organization that is not a private foundation may
accumulate funds for one or two years or so, as long as it
maintains substantial exempt activities, commensurate with its
financial resources. Exempt activities are those that are related
to the organization's purposes, not just activities to gain
funds. In other words they must be either religious, charitable
or educational activities. If it wants to accumulate funds longer
than a year or two, it must have a reason why it needs to save
up, i.e. for the purchase of a building. The test is that
accumulations of earnings and profits are necessary for the
reasonably anticipated needs of the organization.
http://goo.gl/Sc1Fl  page  12 (that document is a IRS National
Office Technical Advice Memorandum which cites to Presbyterian
and Reformed Publishing Co. v. Commissioner, 743 F.2d 148 (3rd
Cir. 1984), a U.S. Court of Appeals decision.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic