Nonprofit Law/Nonprofit Advertising

Question
We are a non-profit 501(c)7 women's social club.  We have a membership of about 395 women.  Our board president is using her personal for-profit business name, address, and contact information as part of her signature in club-related emails.  Is that permissible?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. However, I will try to direct you to some good information. IRC 501(c)(7) exempts from federal income tax, clubs "organized for pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofitable purposes, substantially all of the activities of which are for such purposes and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder."
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html

That "inurement" clause is the same as in Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) which is available at
http://goo.gl/7lFll (on page 2, first column) which provides, in part, that the 501(c)(3) organization must be one of "Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated
exclusively for religious, charitable ...or educational purposes ... no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual".

Inurement (benefits to insiders) is discussed by the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicc90.pdf  and specifically note, on the bottom of page 10, "even a minimal amount of inurement can result in disqualification for exempt status, whereas private benefit must be substantial in order to jeopardize exempt status."

My conclusion, therefore, is that it appears that the board president is jeopardizing the exempt status of the social club by giving herself some advertising (without paying the club for it).

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic