Nonprofit Law/EIN for unincorporated youth sports group

Question
QUESTION: My daughter's soccer team is starting to fundraise to pay for tournaments and upgraded fields for practice.  I would like to open a bank account for the team and can apply for an EIN and register with the state of ohio as an unincorporated association. We looked into registering as a nonprofit with the federal government, but didn't want to pay the $400 filing fee.  I am wondering if we will have to file a tax return and pay any fees other than fees for the EIN and the ohio registration?  Its a nonprofit in that we take money in from fundraising and apply it to tournament fees and field rentals, so no income actually goes to any of the players or parents.  Thanks!

ANSWER: There are no fees to apply for and be given an EIN. But, if by "fundraising" you are referring to sales of goods or services, that is taxable to the recipient as normal income. Simply that the benefits are not going to an individual but a team does not change the taxability.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response.  Most of our fundraising will be things like fundraising calendars (where we get donations for the prizes and people buy a ticket to win), football squares, wing night, and a golf outing.  Would earnings from these things be taxable income?

Answer
Yes, the IRS and the courts are quite expansive in what they consider to be taxable income. A gift is not taxable to the recipient generally, but those transactions do not appear to be gifts to your people. See http://goo.gl/9wKubE "Commissioner v. Duberstein", 363 US 278 - Supreme Court 1960.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic