Nonprofit Law/Office space donation

Question
Our non profit is looking for office space and has been offered a donation of 1000 sf of home office space, including utilities. Is the donor/homeowner entitled to an in kind donation of $450/month?

Answer
If the utilities are metered and the donor is paying that amount then that would be considered a donation.
As for the space, no. See IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations" which is available
at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf especially on page 9 the IRS writes about "partial interests" under the heading "Partial Interest in Property" which means that donations of use are not deductible. Even if the landlord gives space for free to use the landlord does not receive a charitable deduction. "Example 1. You own a 10-story office build- ing and donate rent-free use of the top floor to a charitable organization. Since you still own the building, you have contributed a partial interest in the property and cannot take a deduction for the contribution."  That comes right from section 1.170A-7(a) of the
Income Tax Regulations. http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.170A-7

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic