Nonprofit Law/Open Board Meetings fro non-profit

Question
Hello! My question is if the Sunshine Law applies to a non-profit board meeting in Texas. Must we make the board meetings open to our general membership? We don't receive governmental funding, but do accept public funding. Thank you.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will direct you to the Texas the law which is at http://www.rcfp.org/texas-open-government-guide
specifically read at 1.B.4.a Open Records for "Nongovernmental
bodies receiving public funds or benefits" and the sections B5-B7
nearby have the applicable discussion. If none of those apply to
the organization, then the state open records law does not apply
to the organization.

specifically read at "Open Meetings" about 1/2 the way down the
left column at I.C.4 "Nongovernmental bodies receiving public funds
or benefits". If that does not apply to the organization (it does
not receive public funds or benefits) and none of the other
following  5 sections  (C5-D9) apply to the organization, then the
organization is not subject to the State Open Meetings law.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic