Nonprofit Law/starting an AAU basketball team

Question
I am interested in starting a basketball team and was wondering what are the first steps? I have been to IRS page and have seen the forms for EIN and 501 tax exempt statuses, but what exactly do I need to do BEFORE all that to get the organization ready to apply

Answer
If you want donors to be able to deduct donations and not to have your sales income, if any, taxed as long as you comply with fundraising guidelines for 501(c)(3) organizations, you would need to establish a charitable trust, incorporate under a state's nonprofit corporation law, or set up an unincorporated nonprofit association. Your organizing document would need to state that it is organizing under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) and have other required clauses. The IRS highly prefers that you would have at least 3 directors, with control of the board not in persons related by blood, marriage or
other business.

After the initial set up, you would need to apply for a EIN (tax id number) http://snipurl.com/gij28

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic