You are here:

Nonprofit Law/501(c)3 v. 501(c)7 privacy issues


I have an athletic conference composed of 16 schools.  I want to establish an entity to control the scheduling of games and training and hiring of officials.  I want any meeting or financial information closed to the public.  I also want to restrict admission to the organization.  Should I for a 501(c)3 or 501(c)7 organization.  I have a feeling that any financial information filed on a 990 is open to public inspection regardless of which route is taken. Thank you.

If a nonprofit has received IRS exemption determination or files annual returns (Form 990) with the IRS it has an obligation to provide anyone with certain copies. See FAQs About the Exempt Organization Public Disclosure Requirements and when you click the second FAQ you will see that the same provisions apply to 501 organizations, whether a 501(c)(3) organization or a 501(c)(7) organization.

You wrote, "Should I for a 501(c)3 or 501(c)7 organization."  If you meant by that to ask me the question "Should I for a 501(c)3 or 501(c)7 organization?" I would need analyze your proposed operation. I have in my profile in my forum at that the free service that I offer is only for general questions directly related to IRS exempt purpose issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.

Your issues are beyond that and I would need to spend a substantial amount of time.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.