Nonprofit Law/Church building fund

Question
I attend church in California.  We have a large fund for a future building.  Many feel this is a futile plan as the church is not socio/economically able to support this.  Many members think this money should be used for spreading the word of Jesus.  Can the donors, who are on a list known to the treasurer, have their money refunded or placed into the general treasury, whichever is their choice?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will try to give you some leads.

Much depends upon the wording of the particular solicitation of the church to the congregation in their appeal for funds for the future building. If you send me that text I will be able to comment further. But, in any case, I suggest that a member or members write a letter to the church in which they make the demand (either demanding that the church refund the money donated or demanding that the church place the funds in the general treasury, whichever is their choice) and you can send me the answer that the church gave or, if they do not reply within 2 weeks, you can still get back to me at that time with the report of no reply, but I would still need the text of the solicitation.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic