Nonprofit Law/Food Closet

Question
What information do we need from clients of food closets in order to prove we are really using the money designated to our food closet through the church to provide food to real people and are not using the money for our own benefit (or that of the person who runs the food closet)?  Do we need a name and address, phone number, or what?  We are only interested in not having problems with IRS should we ever be audited.

Thank you.

Patrick

Answer
If you are giving to individuals you would want to keep records as to their being needy.  Revenue Ruling 56-304 provides:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Organizations privately established and funded as charitable
foundations which are organized and actively operated to carry on
one or more of the purposes specified in section 501(c)(3) of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and which otherwise meet the
requirements for exemption from Federal income tax are not
precluded from making distributions of their funds to individuals,
provided such distributions are made on a true charitable basis in
furtherance of the purposes for which they are organized.

However, organizations of this character which make such
distributions should maintain adequate records and case histories
to show the name and address of each recipient of aid; the amount
distributed to each; the purpose for which the aid was given; the
manner in which the recipient was selected and the relationship,
if any, between the recipient and (1) members, officers, or
trustees of the organization, (2) a grantor or substantial
contributor to the organization or a member of the family of
either, and (3) a corporation controlled by a grantor or
substantial contributor, in order that any or all distributions
made to individuals can be substantiated upon request by the
Internal Revenue Service.
---End of Excerpt---
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rr56_304.pdf (cited with approval
in IRS instructions for Form 1023 Application for Exemption on pdf
page 23 middle column) at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-
pdf/i1023.pdf)

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic