Nonprofit Law/501c3 and DBA

Question
Thanks for your time very much, Atty Mechanic.

We are a small 501c3 nonprofit horse rescue. We wish to use a DBA to make our name more fitting to what we do.

If we file a DBA, how do we notify the IRS that we're using that DBA?
What steps do we take so that other things like Guidestar understand that both names are the same rescue?

Answer
I don't know if your organization has gross receipts above $50,000 per year that would require you to file Form 990 with the IRS, but, if you do, the dba would go near the top after "Doing business as"
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990.pdf

Otherwise, you can mail evidence of the dba. The IRS exemption determination letters are standard. You can see in a sample determination letter at:
www.mcsb.us/Documents/IRS%20501c3%20Approval%200001.pdf on page
three under the heading "Notify Us On These Matters"

--Start of Excerpt ---
If you change your name, address, purposes, operations or sources
of financial support, please inform our TE/GE Customer Account
Services Office at the following address: Internal Revenue Service,
P.O. Box 2508, Cincinnati, Ohio 45201. If you amend your
organizational document or by-laws, or dissolve your organization,
provide the Customer Account Services Office with a copy of the
amended documents. Please use your employer identification number
on all returns you file and in all correspondence with the Internal
Revenue Service.
--- End of Excerpt ---

As for Guidestar or https://www.citizenaudit.org or https://www.citizenaudit.org you would need to contact them directly to find out their own procedures.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic