Nonprofit Law/gift with membership fee

Question
We are a diving club with 501(c)3 non-profit status. We are considered a non-profit to promote the sport of diving in our community.

We require divers who are going to compete with our club to become members and pay different levels of dues based on their level of competition: $75 for future champion (beginner), $100 for novice (intermediate) and $150 for junior olympic (advanced). In the past all levels have gotten a team shirt included in their membership dues.

This year we are considering increasing the membership dues some and including a team suit and a team shirt with the member dues. A potential issue is that the team suits cost different amounts for boys and girls (a potential difference of about $20-30).

the question comes in the pricing of the dues: Can we charge the same membership dues for each of the levels, regardless of the suit cost?  Or do we need to charge separately based on the price of the suit (boys or girls)?

Some on our board are concerned the same price for each level, regardless of suit cost could be construed as benefiting some kids more than others (ie the girls who get the higher priced suits).  But on the other hand, it seems gender-biased to charge different prices based on boys/girls suit cost.

We look forward to your advice!

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. The IRS does not have any regulation prohibiting a 501(c)(3) youth organization from providing suits to all participants even though some, on the basis of gender, costs more.

I did notice your title and you have "gift with membership fee".   As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations" which is available at  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 4, first column, "You may be able to deduct membership fees or dues you pay to a qualified organization. However, you can deduct only the amount that is more than the value of the benefits
you receive."  It appears that all of the fees would be treated like school tuition.  In other words, none is deductible as a charitable donation.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic