Nonprofit Law/Pastor Credit Card

Question
Should a pastor have a credit card in a church thst isa 501c3? I would think this would be a vonflict of interest.

Answer
There is no conflict of interest issue as along as the church board, without the pastor voting, decided to issue a credit card to the pastor. The church would also need to have the pastor use a reporting system.

See page 41 of IRS Publication 535 at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf starting in the first
column under the heading "Accountable Plans" which the organization must have.  That section is written for employees but also applies to volunteers. See the section under "Volunteer Officers/Workers" at
http://goo.gl/ypkKS which is written specifically for Exempt Organizations and refers to that Publication 535.
---Start of Excerpt--
A plan under which an employee or volunteer is reimbursed for
expenses or receives an allowance to cover expenses is an
accountable plan only if:

*  There is a business connection for the expenses;
   *  The employee/volunteer adequately accounts for these
expenses within a reasonable period of time; and
   *   The employee/volunteer returns any amounts of excess
expenses within a reasonable period of time.
---End of Excerpt--

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic