Nonprofit Law/Reorganization and separation

Question
QUESTION: My business partner and I are having a huge disagreement on the future of our 501(c)(3) and I am wondering if we can divide the organization into 2 separate entities? We have been incorporated since the fall of 2013 amicably for the most part, with both of us acting equally in charge.  Our board of directors has decided in the last month or so that we need to have 1 of us in charge in title and the other in a slightly subordinate role.  My issue is that I will NOT work for my partner because the organization was begun by both of us in the work and financing.  I would like to know if we can just divide the organization into 2 organizations (we work in 2 states since our organization is in a major city that borders a different state) and, if so, can the 2 organizations have separate boards of directors?
I am passionate about what we do, but I believe my business partner is more passionate about being in charge than in upholding our mission.

ANSWER: You would set up a new organization in one of the states and then the older 501(c)(3) organization would be able to grant some of its assets to the new 501(c)(3) organization organization.  As different organizations they would normally have separate boards of the directors.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Is there a place I can go to print information out regarding your answer to show her?  I guess I really don't want to show her my original question now that I read it again.  LOL  Thank you for your quick reply!

Answer
I am willing to write a legal opinion letter and, in order for me to do that, I would need to spend a substantial amount of time.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees. Other than that, I do not know of any other site where you would find that information.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic