Nonprofit Law/(c)4 soliciting donations for (c)3

Question
Our 501(c)3 organization accepts donations for scholarships to students at our community high school. A local 501(c)4 is hosting an event to honor a community leader. As our cause is near and dear to the honoree's heart, the (c)4 would like to allow those who purchase tickets to the event to also make a donation at the time of ticket purchase toward our scholarship fund. They want to know how they may do so while maintaining the deductibility of these donations for the contributor. Can this be done? If so, are there special restrictions on a specific type of payment (cash, check, credit card online)?

Answer
The U.S. Supreme Court Case Davis v. United States, and the other cases and revenue rulings provide clear guidance that under IRC 170, a contribution is made "to or for the use of" the charitable organization is deductible as a charitable donation.
http://pages.citebite.com/c1x0m7h3w8mdo

In order for the 501(c)(4) organization to insure that donations for the 501(c)(3) organization's scholarship fund are deductible by the donors, there are two choices.

1.  The donors give the funds directly to the 501(c)(3) organization, which may be any method that you listed (cash, check made to the 501(c)(3) organization, credit card online).

2.  The 501(c)(4) organization would make it clear that certain funds given to them will be held and passed on 100% to your 501(c)(3) organization. This is what the Davis court referred to:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Accordingly, we conclude that a gift or contribution is "for the use of" a qualified organization when it is held in a legally enforceable trust for the qualified organization or in a similar legal arrangement.
---End of Excerpt---

It appears that you are asking specifically about the second method.  That is the same method that utility and other for-profit companies use when they advertise that $1 (or another named amount) of the total payment (bill for utility services plus any additional named amount) would be going to a named charity. There are no restrictions on a specific type of payment (cash, check, credit card online)?   The 501(c)(3) organization would give to the donors the acknowledgements (receipt) of the donation to help them later in case they are audited by the IRS.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic