Nonprofit Law/Memorial Fund

Question
Is my entire memorial fund account taxable?

Scenario - I opened a memorial fund for a deceased male cousin as a depository for sympathy donations. I also deposited the balance from his checking/savings account. The monies were used to defray his funeral and cemetery expenses,and other outstanding debts. The balance, if any, is going to his three surviving minor daughters, who live with his ex-wife. Thank you.

Answer
The Internal Revenue Code at section 102(a) provides that gifts are not income.  "Gross income does not include the value of property acquired by gift..."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/B/III/102

However, section 102(c) of the Code has "Subsection (a) shall not exclude from gross income any amount transferred by or for an employer to, or for the benefit of, an employee...."

Therefore, the fund account itself is not taxable.  Of course, if the funds that went into the account were, previously, income to a person, they would be taxable to that person.  For example, if you received employment income and put it into the memorial fund, you would still need to declare that employment income. The three surviving daughters would not, though, have any tax liability as to the gifts.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic