Nonprofit Law/508 c 1 a


I have been a born again Christian since 1973.I want to establish a 508 organization for humanitarian / Christian Faith Based initiatives. I have multiple expressions for one reason - Christian focused evangelism through multiple types of outreach venues (food pantries, clothing, homes for the indigent, etc.).  
I am expecting a large sum of money very soon and I want to that I want to completely earmark for the Gospel outreaches. The outreaches will be operating in the US, Caribbean, and possibly Africa.
I have been an entrepreneur my whole professional life and have built multiple businesses so I am very familiar with state registration and obtaining an EIN.
But I have never established a 508 so I am having a little difficulty in finding the proper channels / steps to obtain a 508 EIN and finding the proper guidelines with my home state (TX) to file articles and the proper paper work and who and where to file.
I have contacted a few firms that can help me, but they want upfront money that I do not have the ability to pay as of today.
I have done hours of research about a 508 and I know it the best way to create a free church.
Can you help me?
I need counsel on the where and how to's to get started.
Please communicate with me as soon as you can.
Thank you in advance for your help and generosity.

Gary C. Milligan

- cell

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issues are beyond that and I would need to spend a substantial amount of time in drafting documents to obtain exemption for your proposed organization.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]