Nonprofit Law/inurement

Question
I was in conversation recently with an organization that offers Donor Advised Funds, it is a 501c3. I was told that the organization had received a real estate donation and was seeking to sell the property to a non-profit for 20% of the fair market value. I was told that the land which was donated must be bought by and used for christian ministry/nonprofit purposes. The land is made up of 3 different tax lots. Two of the tax lots have been purchased by two different organizations (both ministry/nonprofits) who are collaborating together. The third tax lot (which is highly developed for farm use and has a large house on it) is still available. What I was told was that the land of this third tax lot has already been leased to a farmer for the next three years while the house is going to be leased to the two aforementioned organizations conjointly on a yearly basis. I was also told that the person who donated the land is an investor in the farmers enterprise. Originally one of the non-profits was going to buy the 3rd tax lot but backed out after the land had already been leased to the farmer. The justification for the land being leased to a farmer was that the non-profit was going to have an agriculture program that would be a "learning lab" for students. But it seems to me like there might be some inurement (since the donor is an investor in the farm enterprise and could be seen as an insider because of being in a donor advised fund). But since the organization doesn't have to listen to the recommendation of the donor maybe this wouldn't hold up. But there might be still personal benefit. How do I establish personal benefit is occuring? What are the limitations on how much personal benefit?

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization may not sell or lease assets for less than the fair market value, unless the purchaser is another public charity 501(c)(3) organization. There are exceptions, but just because a 501(c)(3) organization labels a project as a "learning lab" does not mean that the project is exclusively for charitable, religious or educational purposes.  If not, the lease or sale to an individual is prohibited even if the individual receiving the benefits is not an insider.  Inurement relates to an insider.

An detailed discussion by the IRS of the private benefit issue relating to 501(c)(3) organizations is found at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopich01.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic