Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) charging mandatory fee

Question
QUESTION: Can a booster organization charge a mandatory fee for a student to participate in an extra-curricular activity? This is above the school district pay to play fee that allows the students to participate per the district rules. This fee is for participation, not goods consumed by the student. This is also not a fee to be a member of the booster organization.

ANSWER: By definition a booster organization does not conduct activities other than raising funds and giving funds.  Therefore, it has no authority to charge a student for a fee to participate in a school extra-curricular activity. Only if the school requires the students to pay fees to the booster organization, which would then pass on the fees to the school, could a 501(c)(3) booster organization conceivably be allowed to required such a fee.

My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Is it then the case that a booster organization is not allowed to charge the parents of the students a fee to be a member of the booster organization and have voting rights during meetings? I am understanding that the parents of students participating in an group supported by the booster organization are automatically members of said organization, with no fee required. Is that correct?

Answer
A booster organization may charge parents of the students a fee to be a member of the booster organization and have voting rights during meetings.  However, a 501(c)(3) booster organization may not require parents to join the organization and may not require any payments from them if they do not want to join.

Families are not ever "automatically" members of a 501(c)(3) booster organization unless that membership includes only rights and no obligations. Actually, most state courts would rule, as is the statutory law in Minnesota, that a person or organization cannot automatically be made a member of a nonprofit organization (without the person's express or implied consent). http://goo.gl/H1MJB6

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic