Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) Donations

Question
We are receiving donations for our 501(c)(3) fundraiser.  When money is donated we send them a receipt thanking them for the donation, along with the words "No goods or services were received in return for this gift".

The other day a local vendor asked if he could help out in the fundraising and offer to donate a t-shirt to people who donate $25 or more.  He thought this could help generate more interest and excitement.

If you do such a thing, would be be in violation of the "No goods or services were received in return for this gift" intent?
Thanks,
Dennis

Answer
See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf which is the  IRS Publication "Charitable Contributions --
Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements" on pdf page 5:
--- Start of excerpt ---
Token Exception — Insubstantial goods or services a charitable organization provides in
exchange for contributions do not have to be described in the acknowledgment.

Good and services are considered to be insubstantial if the payment occurs in the context
of a fund-raising campaign in which a charitable organization informs the donor of the
amount of the contribution that is a deductible contribution, and:

1. the fair market value of the benefits received does not exceed the lesser of 2 percent of
the payment or $106,* or

2. the payment is at least $53,* the only items provided bear the organization’s name or
logo (for example, calendars, mug or posters), and the cost of these items is within the
limit for “low-cost articles,” which is $10.60.*
-- End of excerpt ---

Therefore, if the t-shirts had the organization's name prominently displayed you could still use the "No good or services were received in return for this gift" if the cost of the t-shirt is $10.60 or below as long as you require a donation of $54 or more to get the t-shirt

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic