Nonprofit Law/501c3

Question
QUESTION: My husband and I have a 501c3 set up for Music Ministry.  We are working with a band/group that is in music ministry that we want to partner with and let them use our 501c3. Would it be best to merge the two groups? If so what is the best way to do that? Or if it is better to just let them utilize the 501c3 what is the best way to do that? Thanks!

ANSWER: First we would need to ascertain if the activities and operation of that band/group are of the type that would be allowable for 501(c)(3) organizations.  If they are not, then you would be liable for taxes on their income or even your 501(c)(3) status could be jeopardized.  If they are, then you would have an option to have them merge into your present 501(c)(3) organization.  They can not "use" your 501(c)(3) organization status as long as they are an entity separate from your organization. I would be willing to draft the papers necessary, after consultations, but that would involve a substantial amount of time and is beyond the scope of the free work that I offer on this Allexperts.com.  If you want to hire me for such work, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: They play music at churches, colleges, local festivals with a focus on getting youth interested in music and dance.  They support Compassion International as well. I will email you about a merge. Thanks!

Answer
Ok.  I will respond to your email.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic