Nonprofit Law/501c3 Youth Sports Fee for Fundraising

Question
We are a small 501c3 youth hockey club. Recently the board was approached by a parent from another club offering a fundraising opportunity to us with a few stipulations.  One of which is for our club to pay him a set amount ($2000) every year for 4 years in exchange for the use of this fundraiser.   Is this something that we could even consider as a non-profit?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. There is no IRS regulation against a 501(c)(3) organization giving someone reasonable compensation but you could not give more than that.  Also, if your group is involved in a lot of sales activities, your group may lose exemption.  See "Fund Raising" at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicl82.pdf as to the type of "fundraising"  that is allowed to maintain 501(c)(3) organization status and to avoid having unrelated business taxes due from your organization.

Even though this forum is not for information about state regulation, you would also need to consider your state's charitable solicitation regulations. The Illinois Attorney General has posted the required registration forms and instructions at
http://www.ag.state.il.us/charities/file_require.html
and you will notice that the person that you would be paying ($2000) may also need to register. Your organization would register and he may have to register as a "professional fund-raiser".  In your registration form there will probably be, as in other states, a question asking whether you are paying someone.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic