Nonprofit Law/Designate a contribution for a specific project or purpose

Question
Our church has a specific project such as major church building improvement, we encouraged church members to donate toward this specific project. Can the donors designate their contributions to this specific project for the church to only use the fund toward this specific project?
Is this considered earmark the contribution and therefore not allowed as tax-deductible contribution for the donor?

Answer
A donor may designate funds to go to the churches building improvement.  That is not considered what the IRS refers to as "earmarking", which is when the donor wants funds to go to an individual or to a non-exempt entity. See on page 3 of an IRS Private Letter ruling from 2006 to show what is considered "earmarking":
--- Start of Excerpt ---

Another question that arises in the context of charitable
contributions is whether the contribution is really to the charity,
or to another person.  If a contribution made to a charity is
earmarked for the benefit of a particular person or non-charitable
organization under an express or implied agreement, then the
contribution is not deductible as a charitable contribution to the
charity.  The charity must have discretion and control over the use
of the funds.
---End of Excerpt---
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/06-0003.pdf

By the way, if the donor wants to insure that the church uses the funds for the building improvement, have that donor contact me, because we would need to draft an agreement that the church would sign.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic