Nonprofit Law/Discrimination at non Profit

Question
Harvey,

My question goes to the ability of a non-profit soccer club to ban a player from the organization entirely, due to the alleged conduct of a parent.

I left a club 5 years ago with both my daughters due to team placement of my eldest - we drove 3 hours in each direction to ECNL practices for both girls, the one who we left over led all of Texas in goals scored for the 99 birth year.

Now that she is graduating and heading to West Point, we wanted to avoid the drive for three more years and put our younger one back at the club we left 5 years ago.   We were told , "there is no pathway for her to return to our club" after they acknowledged she was a top 5 01 player in our market.

Answer
I do not know of any laws that might protect you other than discrimination laws, but they only protect against certain actions based upon religion, national origin, race and a few other
categories.

Some states, such as Maryland have laws that are more extensive in reach compared to the Federal laws. Maryland only protects persons in certain contexts http://mccr.maryland.gov/DiscriminationOverview.html
and, as to public accommodations, we can click on that link and get to  http://mccr.maryland.gov/PubAccomDiscrimination.html

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic