Nonprofit Law/Donations for the Church Retreat Event

Question
QUESTION: In order to grow the church members' faith, our church conducted a multi-day retreat with room & board for the church members to attend at no cost to them. If a church member attends the retreat and makes a contribution toward the event, is the contribution tax-deductible for the church member?

ANSWER: Yes. That appears to be a payment with no expectation of return.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for the response. I have been looking for guidelines on this but was not able to find it. Do you know of any IRS guideline or publications that addressing this? Thank you!

ANSWER:  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations" which is available at  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf on page 6 middle column under the heading "Contributions You  Cannot Deduct" is "3. The part of a contribution from which you receive or expect to receive a benefit", but your facts do not indicate that the member does not expect a benefit from the donation.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

QUESTION: The last statement in your response "but your facts do not indicate that the member does not expect a benefit from the donation". I think you meant to say that "but your facts indicate that the member does not expect a benefit from the donation". Is that correct? I want to be clear on this because some church members argue that since people receive the benefit of room & board while attending the retreat that their contributions toward the retreat event (if they do contribute) can only be tax-deductible for the amount in excess of the room & board cost even though attending the retreat including room & board is free to them.
Thank you!

Answer
Sorry, I should not have had a double negative.  It should read " "but your facts indicate that the member does not expect a benefit from the donation".  You are correct.

What those other members are arguing is not applicable to these sets of facts.  

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic