Nonprofit Law/Love Offering for Family

Question
QUESTION: If a church congregation collects monetary donations for a family that has lost a child to help off set the cost. Then the church gives the funds collected as a "love offering" to the family should the family that received the love offering be required to claim the "love offering" as income?

ANSWER: The Internal Revenue Code at section 102(a) provides that gifts are not income.  "Gross income does not include the value of property acquired by gift..."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/B/III/102

However, section 102(c) of the Code has "Subsection (a) shall not exclude from gross income any amount transferred by or for an employer to, or for the benefit of, an employee...."

Therefore, if no one in the family is an employee of the church congregation, then the money received is not declared as income, because it is not income.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Is there anything that the family who received the "love offering" can do if they are being contacted by the IRS because the church filed a 1099 for the donations they received?

ANSWER: I suggest that the family first ask the church to file a correction to that 1099-Misc. and, if the chruch does not do so, then what I advise is that the family, in their 1040 return for the year, put in a note why they are not including that amount as income.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

QUESTION: What if this incident took place in 2014 and the IRS has contacted the family and is now wanting the family to pay income taxes due to the 1099 filed by the church. Is the church responsible for making the correction to the IRS or does the family need to contact the IRS directly to explain the situation?

Answer
The church is supposed to be responsible but if they do not act properly then certainly the family would want to answer the IRS request for payment by explaining that that 1099-Misc was issued in error by following the procedure explained at http://goo.gl/rGbh0j

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.  Actually this issue is not about exemption, but I was willing to answer a few questions.  If you want me to work further on this matter, it would take me a substantial amount of time and I would charge a fee, based upon a sliding scale as to your income.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic