Nonprofit Law/do we need a 501 (c)(3) for sponors?

Question
QUESTION: I work at a gymnastics facility, the parents want to try and get sponsors for their kids to help with the expenses. We do not have a 501c3. Do we need to have one? Also If a company wants to sponsor the whole team and not an individual gymnast can we do that with out a 501 c3?
Thank you in advance for your time.

ANSWER: Certainly the parents may try to obtain sponsors for their kids. However, normally a company does not want to donate to families directly because they can not use that as a business expense unless they get something commensurate in return, for example advertisements on the kids' jerseys. If the kids want to make such an exchange they may certain do that.  The company may sponsor the whole team and not just individuals.

Note that, if there was a 501(c)(3) booster organization, then the sponsor would be able deduct donations to benefit the whole team, even if they do not get something in return, like advertisements.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: So if we as a business offer advertisement (banner, plaque,name on shirt etc....) in return for Sponsorship/donation of our individual gymnasts or team, the company(aka;sponsor) is getting advertising in return, instead of using the sponsorship/donation as a write off? Then would the company I work for be responsible for claiming the tax on the donations received?
If so, can that money come out of the donation?
Example: John Doe donates $500.00 to Susie's gymnastics account, we give him a plaque on the wall and his name on a t-shirt. Does Susie's parents pay tax or does the business pay tax? If so can the tax money be taken off the donation amount and put in an account until tax time?
Thank you for your patience with me! It is greatly appreciated :o)

Answer
There are two scenarios.

1.  The company gives the money directly to the families in exchange for advertising, or
2.  The company gives the money directly to the for-profit gym in exchange for advertising.

In either case, the money received is taxable as service income or employment income.

In your example, the sponsor gave the $500.00 to your for-profit gym for the use of the kids who attend the gym, then the for-profit gym is receiving taxable income just as if the kid's nuclear family had paid the $500 to the gym or the uncle of the kid had paid the gym the $500 for the kid's tuition.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. I was willing to answer some basic questions even though your issues are not related to any 501(c)(3) organization.  If you want other advice as to your business tax matters I would be charging a fee and, if want to hire me, please email me directly to my email address below.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic