Nonprofit Law/Pass-thru/consolidation of funds

Question
I have a question regarding what I believe may be a unique pass-thru funds situation.  Our booster club is used by the program sponsors heavily for consolidating funds for students.  For example, entry fees to specific events, group purchases for supplies and to consolidate funds for purchases for animal projects by the teacher/sponsors on their behalf, as a few examples.

The booster club collects each students portion.  The booster club will then write a single check to the event or vendor to pay the amount collected for the specific event/supplies etc.

The question is 2 fold.  Is that a harmless pass-thru or does that create an issue being a 501(c)3?  Are those funds considered as funds received for reporting purposes such as the 990?  In other words, are they considered "Gross receipts".

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Answer
If the booster organization is legally required to pass through 100% each of the payments then they may decide to follow a certain accounting system that does not call those payment income, but use them as increases to assets and increases to liabilities.  As stated by CPA, Louis Gutberlet, "pass-through items or reimbursable expenses are assets, not expenses." http://goo.gl/Mjkq3q

The IRS instructions to Form 990 on page 9, right column, have the instructions for "Item G. Gross Receipts":
---Start of Excerpt---
    On Form 990, Part VIII, column A, add  line 6b (both columns (i) and (ii)), line 7b (both columns (i) and (ii)), line 8b, line 9b, line 10b, and line 12, and enter the total here.
---End of Excerpt---
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990.pdf
 None of those figures in the computation of gross receipts includes any pass-through items treated as increases in assets and liabilities. Therefore, they are not considered "Gross receipts".

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic