Nonprofit Law/501c3 donations

Question
Can  its a 501c3 donate financially to its members(members of group that created the 501c3)?

Answer
Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) which is available at http://goo.gl/7lFll (on page 2, first column) provides, in part, that the 501(c)(3) organization must be one of "Corporations, and
any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable ...or educational purposes ... no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of
any private shareholder or individual".

Grants or benefits to founders is prohibited as inurement.  Inurement (prohibited  benefits to insiders) is discussed by the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicc90.pdf  and specifically note, on the bottom of page 10, "even a minimal amount of inurement can result in disqualification for exempt status"

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic