Nonprofit Law/Non fundraising donation

Question
If a company helps sponsor your child that is involved in a club that has a 501c3, can the money go directly to your child or does the money need to be distributed equally to all the are involved?  Is the company still able to write off the donation at tax time?

Answer
As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations" which is available at  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to
individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is for a specific person."

Therefore, the sponsor may give money directly to the named child, but the donation will not be deductible by the sponsor as a charitable donation.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic