Nonprofit Law/Team Fundraising Efforts

Question
QUESTION: We are a 501c3 soccer league with 30 travel teams.  Are individual teams legally allowed to organize fundraisers that benefit their individual team?  Funds would be deposited into the League bank account.  The team would like to have funds allocated for their team expenses and maintain disretion as to how the funds are used.

ANSWER: IRS regulations prohibit a 501(c)(3) organization allowing an individual to raise funds on behalf of the organization when the funds are going to that particular individual.  However, there is no regulation prohibiting a team the size of a soccer team from engaging in such activities for the benefit of the team.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: Thank you. What about fundraising (i.e. Selling tickets for a prize raffle)?  Can an individual team fundraiser for their sole benefit?  Each team has a different budget above the basic league fee depending on whether their coach is a volunteer or paid. I understand individual players cannot fundraiser to reduce their own fees. But can the team as a whole reduce their fees or do the funds raised need to distributed league wide if a single team runs their own fundraiser.

Answer
Yes.  I thought that is what I explained earlier, but, in any case, the answer is yes.

You did not ask, but the organization would need to comply with California Raffle regulations. http://ag.ca.gov/charities/raffles.php

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic