Nonprofit Law/501 c3 booster club

Question
We have an aquatics booster club. The school wants all our info but yet is telling us that we are not part of the school. They say we need to be approved by the school board but yet they tell us we can have nothing to do with the school.They also say the kids can't fundraise. I don't understand how they say we can have no affiliation with the school but they want to run how we operate. Is this legal? I see you also have info for booster clubs. I'd like to know where to find it at. Thanks

Answer
This is a common situation. If private 501(c)(3) organizations wants to use school facilities or the school's name, then they need permission from the school board.  Otherwise, it does not, but then the school does not need to accept their donations. My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

I always suggest a written agreement between the 501(c)(3) booster organization and the school board that it wants to fund.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic