Nonprofit Law/501c3 Membership, Fundraising and Scholarships

Question
I know that a 501c3 Booster Club can choose to charge a membership fee and that its the parents choice if they choose to join or not. But if a parent does not choose to join the club, can the child be considered exempt from applying for Clubs Scholarship? Also, can the Scholarship application have grading points for any fundraising that the child did previously?

Answer
No and no. A charitable organization may not discriminate against families that are not members in making charitable grants. My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic