Nonprofit Law/509(a)(2)

Question
QUESTION: I thought my HS Parents Club was a 501(c)(3) but our paper work says that it is a Public Charity Status 509(a)(2)...what is the difference?

ANSWER: You can put in the name and state in the IRS site at https://goo.gl/CSf9OL and you will see, if, as highlighted in the search they "Are eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions".  If so, then they are a 501(c)(3) organization.

By the way, 26 U.S.C. 509(a)(2) is available at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/509 and you will see in the first line of 509(a) that it only refers to "a domestic or foreign organization described in section 501(c)(3)".  I don't know where your "paper work" says that it is "it is a Public Charity Status 509(a)(2)" but I am pretty sure that, if that is a determination letter from the IRS, it also indicates that it is a 501(c)(3) organization.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

QUESTION: It is listed on the paper from the IRS along the Identification Number, DLN # etc. In body of the paperwork it does say that we are exempt from Federal income tax under section 501(c)(3). Do we file at the end of the year with the IRS as a 501 or a 509?

Answer
A 509(a)(2), is not a private foundation.  A private foundation completes the Form 990-PF, whereas the 501(c)(3) organizations that are not private foundations, but are public charities, complete the Form 990, 990-EZ or 990-N annually.  Links to Latest Published  Form 990 Series Forms and Instructions
which ones to file (990/990-EZ/990-N) are available at http://goo.gl/GFVHE

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic