Nonprofit Law/Gross Receipt Calculation

Question
A supporter makes a contribution towards a replacement tire for a tractor owned and used by a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization.
Questions relate to 990 preparation:

Is that contribution considered an in-kind donation?
  Does it count towards gross receipts total?

Would be grateful for your clarity on the issue.

Answer
By using the phrase "contribution towards" it appears that the donation is made in cash (or check). Even though the donor may have earmarked the use of the funds, the donation is considered a cash donation and not "in-kind". It does count towards the gross receipts total.

Even if the donation was not in cash, but, for example, the donation was of a new tire or a used car, then, still, the donation is considered part of gross receipts. The IRS defines the term "gross receipts" for exempt organizations
at http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Gross-Receipts-Defined as, "the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs
or expenses."In the instructions for Form 990-EZ have for Part 1, line 1 instruct, "Report the value of noncash contributions at the time of the donation. For example, report the gross value of a donated car
as of the time the car was received as a donation." http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990ez.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic