Norway/cost of living in stavanger

stavangerHopeful wrote at 2012-12-07 20:57:52
If I understood correctly, the net pay is 32K+ NOK/month ( which means after income tax 28% and pension contribution 7.8% + top tax 9%). This means that the gross pay is close to 600K a year.

I am exactly in the same situation ( considering a move to Stavanger )and have been doing a lot of research. In Nordic region where majority of the people are average income earners, to be able to live comfortably, you will need at least 2 income earners in the family ( 1 income for expenses and the other for savings ).

In retrospect the salary should be enough for a family of 3 and you can save more depending on how low you can keep your expenses.

You can see link of how to find an apartment in Stavanger.

House rent will be your biggest cost so you should try to keep it as low as possible ( expect it to be btw 10 - 15K NOK ) per month. School fees is usually free ( 6yrs and above ) but since your child will be in daycare you will need to pay around 2K plus.

Finally, as a foreign employee, your husband can get 10% standard deduction for the first 2 years (  

Roy Helge Rasmussen

I live in the southern part of norway and can find my way around most of the country. I will answer questions about social life, culture, language and politics to the best of my knowledge. I am not so good at travel tips outside the south-eastern parts, although I will try to answer.

I live here and have been guiding members of my family around when they visit from abroad for years.