Norway/Family Immigration

Question
Hi Roy,

I am asking this question on behalf of my parents.

My eldest sister is married to a Norwegian and residing with her family in Norway.  My second eldest sister is married to a German, but they also reside with their family in Norway.  My third eldest sister is currently working in Norway, but isn't a resident there.

Naturally, my parents would like to be where their kids are.  Mum and dad, ages 61 and 59 respectfully, would like to move to Norway for an extended period of time (2-4 years, maybe longer) and are willing to do what it takes to make it happen, even if it means working through retirement.

Is there anyway that this is possible?  I have checked UDI but haven't been able to find anything concrete.

Thanks for answer ahead of time!

Paul

Answer
The crux here is how to support yourself. If they have a job offer, or plan to start a business (and have the cash to do so) or if they have enough savings to support them, all they need to do is to prove that they can indeed support themselves for the period of time they're talking about. Either by a job contract, a business plan with documentation, or .... some other kind of documentation. It is not possible to get a work/residence visa just because you want to ... except if you're a EU citizen.

There is a small side possibility. If your sisters have the financial muscles to act as supporters for your parents, you could apply for a family reunion visa for them in the case that "the persons seeking visa are not able to care for themselves, and need the support of family members". But this route is often more troublesome than necessary, and difficult for rather young able-bodied people.

Norway

Roy Helge Rasmussen