Norway/Oslo to Bergen Railroad and Fjord tour

Question
QUESTION: We will be doing the Oslo Bergen Railway on March 19, 2013.

because we have little time in Norway we wanted to combine the railroad and the Fjord w/ an overnight in Flam.
We can leave Oslo on the train at 1201 and be in Flam at 1840 - perfect.
but we cannot do a return boat trip on the Fjord from Flam to Gudvangen. as the boat times do not meet up with the train times in/out of Flam.
All the 'Norway in a Nutshell' trips do this trip with a bus between Gudvangen and Voss.
my question is :
If we do the bus portion - what are we missing between Myrdel and Voss on the train?
and if we do not take the bus - what are we missing on the bus from Gudvangen to Voss?

thank you in advance for your ANSWER.
TOM

ANSWER: Going from Flåm to Gudvangen by bus is just one really long tunnel. You'll miss out on a boat ride on the fjord. But the tunnel is a great piece of engineering, if you're into that kind of thing.

I am a bit unsure about what parts of the train trip you want to go by bus. But I am now assuming that you want to go OSLO-MYRDAL-FLÅM by train. Then the problem is getting back to Oslo.

If you go FLÅM-GUDVANG-VOSS by bus, and then return to Oslo by train you're not missing anything, but the boat ride on the fjord.

If you go back the way you came FLÅM-MYRDAL-OSLO, you're missing out on the bus ride and the fjord cruise, but without the cruise, nothing really important. Except a load of tunnels and of course Voss. Voss is an odd little place high up in the wild mountains, surrounded by high snow covered peaks. But surprisingly mild and gentle down in the valley of Voss.

The train ride from Voss to Myrdal is not very important. Except for tunnel engineers. That part of the trip is better on a tourist bus over the old country roads along the fjords and up the steep cliffs at Vøringsfossen.

You can actually download a HD video of the entire 7 hour train ride from Oslo to Bergen made by NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corp)
http://nrkbeta.no/2009/12/18/bergensbanen-eng/

QUESTION: thank you - very helpful.
i was not clear.

yes we are going from Oslo to Flam via train and then the boat trip on the Fjord to Gudvangen.

my question, which i believe you answered:

Is it better to bus or boat back from the Fjord boat trip to Gudvangen to Flam in order to go back to the train and continue the trip to Bergen, or should we avoid the back tracking and just take the bus from Gudvangen to Voss and pick up the train there in Voss.

it sounds like to say YES – do the bus from Gudvangen to Voss after the Flam Fjord trip, - not missing much on the Myrtal - Voss portion of the Oslo to Bergen world famous train ride!

Please confirm.

I assume the 9AM – 1125AM Fjord Boat from Flam to Gudvangen is operating on march 18?? Is that the only boat that day from Flam to Gudvangen??

I also assume it is 3easy to reserve a bus from Gudvangen to Voss to hook up w/ the Oslo-Bergen train??

Thank you

Tom

Answer
Whoops. That is early. The ferry doesn't start running until May 1st. It is not a part of the normal transport network, only there for the tourists. So you'll have to either take the normal coach from Flåm to Voss/Bergen, or the train back up to Myrdal and then jump on the normal intercity to Bergen from there.

The ride from Flåm to Myrdal is breathtaking both ways, so I suggest you do that. The bus ride could also be interesting if you come from a US midwestern flantland, but trains are more comfortable.

Norway

Roy Helge Rasmussen