You are here:

Norway/family immigration


QUESTION: Hello roy, my name is Delan i am an American citizen married to a Norwegian citizen. We got married last November of 2013, but i didn't apply for family immigration up until may 2nd, 2014. I am currently staying in Norway living with my husband waiting for my case to be processed they have told me it takes 9 months to get approved but i can continue living in Norway in the mean time. My question is, do you know if their is anything productive such as working, school, or taking any sort of Norwegian course or any other type of class to kill sometime until i am approved or do i not have that right? I cant imagine being stuck inside not doing anything beneficial for the next 9 months. Best regards Delan Slivany

ANSWER: If you go to the local police, with all your papers, they can grant you a temporary work permit pending your reunification application. The police may require you to send a request for temporary work permit to the UDI also. It depends on what documentation they posess. This process should be rather quick.

You do not qualify for any school or other public benefits while waiting. If you are not covered by your own health insurance, I advice you to check with an insurance company for a short term health insurance until you are granted membership in Folketrygden (when your visa approves) Thereafter you are entitled to the full benefits of norwegian public health.

Until you have your residence visa, you do not qualify for any school or education program. Once you are granted residence, you will have the right to a number of free language lessons.

I advice you to get out and join some voluntary activities in a sports club, a church or a special interest group or something. There ought to be some thing that could tickle your interest. Great way to meet people, learn language and start building a network and generally have a good time. Getting out and about will also prevent you and hubby from going on each other nerves right away.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you very much. You were very helpful, I well definitely go to the police and try to get a temporary work permit, And look into some activities to kill sometime. I also have another question, can I be denied if I have debts in my country of citizenship?

ANSWER: The norwegian state normally would not know, nor care about your foreign debts. If we are talking about private debt at least. If you have fled court ordered compensation, and you are a fugitive of the law - then things may be different. In that case your visa may be more difficult to get.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I have both i hope this doesn't effect my case, i just a
have a warrant and a fine of $3000(American dollars)i haven't paid. Yikes!!! Also, you said i can apply for a temporary work permit do i qualify for it if I'm applying for family immigration or does that only go for a person applying for work permit? I'm not to clear on that. I'm actually going to the police/udi tomorrow so i well ask them my self, but incase i don't get the chance maybe you can let me know. I'm sorry I'm asking all these questions, this is just so stressful. I can't seem to find any answers online.

Family reuinification also grants general work and residence permit, it is just the qualifications that differ. If your visa is clear cut, you'll get a temporary work permit while you're waiting. No use having you sit at home and wait while you could do something productive.  


All Answers

Ask Experts


Roy Helge Rasmussen


I live in the southern part of norway and can find my way around most of the country. I will answer questions about social life, culture, language and politics to the best of my knowledge. I am not so good at travel tips outside the south-eastern parts, although I will try to answer.


I live here and have been guiding members of my family around when they visit from abroad for years.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]