Norway/Fritidsbolig / Hytter in Norway

Hi Roy,

I have been lurking around your answers for a while and generally can get the information I need from questions that others have asked.

Could you please expand on the benefits and restrictions associated with owning a holiday home in Norway. From my vague understanding the holding tax is lower but the utilities are higher. You aren't allowed to live in them 100% of the time and rubbish is not collected.

Is there a restriction in size for a Hytte? Who decides what land is for holiday homes vs regular homes? Are the huge cabins at Geilo and Voss considered Hytter or would that be classified as a second house/investment property?

Thanks for all of your help,

There are no country-wide regulations on holiday homes. But each kommune/municipality may regulate the size, location, what utilities that may be installed etc. What you need to pay in utilities is also a local concern. Normally you pay less per annum for utilities for a holiday home than a permanent residence house, but more per month, given that the house is only in use for a few months per year.

The difference in taxation between your permanent residence and any other holding, property or house is that your permanent residence enjoy special tax excemptions that other holdings do not. Beyond that there may or may not be a property tax in the municipality where your property is located.

So, basically, a holiday home/hytte is always considered an investment/asset and do not enjoy any special tax benefits like your permanent residence/bolig does. No difference between a Hytte and any other non-residence property.

Roy Helge Rasmussen

I live in the southern part of norway and can find my way around most of the country. I will answer questions about social life, culture, language and politics to the best of my knowledge. I am not so good at travel tips outside the south-eastern parts, although I will try to answer.

I live here and have been guiding members of my family around when they visit from abroad for years.