You are here:

Norway/Norwegian citizenship


My father was born in Norway and moved to the USA with his parents when he was 4 years old (1914). He has since passed away. I wonder if there is anyway for me to obtain dual citizenship with Noway and the USA.

Bill Andersen

No. Norway does not allow dual citizenship. If your father never naturalized, and never served military service and never applied for american citizenship, then you may have had a claim on norwegian citizenship at birth. But  that would be forfeited with any activity on your side to achieve american citizenship, or serving of military service.

The law has been tightened over the last 10 years to the point that dual citizenship is not almost impossible. But since every other country in Europe is loosening on this and allowing dual citizenships, I believe we'll follow suit within the next decade.

You would have to intend to live here though. Citizenships would not be handed out to people who do not intend to live in norway.


All Answers

Ask Experts


Roy Helge Rasmussen


I live in the southern part of norway and can find my way around most of the country. I will answer questions about social life, culture, language and politics to the best of my knowledge. I am not so good at travel tips outside the south-eastern parts, although I will try to answer.


I live here and have been guiding members of my family around when they visit from abroad for years.

©2017 All rights reserved.