Norway/Documenting claim to citizenship

Hi - I have read many of your responses to the issue of acquiring Norwegian citizenship through lineage, including the following comment you made in reference to a situation in which a great grandparent came from Norway:

Let's assume that, in theory, all of the necessary requirements have been met to achieve citizenship (that the Norwegian-born ancestor did not naturalize, that no one in the lineage joined the military, etc.). Also, let's also assume that the applicant for citizenship is prepared to renounce their current citizenship.

What is the legal standard for documenting this lineage in order to receive citizenship? In practice, what types of documents are accepted and not accepted? (If official birth and marriage certificates are not all available, are there alternatives that are accepted?)

Nobody has ever tried doing it, so what is needed is a bit difficult to say. And what is possible to document is also probably different from country to country. The imagined situation where you may be norwegian by birthright is a theoretical possiblity, not something I imagine even exist anywhere.

There are no special forms for this situation. How do you even document that something did not happen... That someone never naturalized...

You'd need to bring documents and affidavits that told a story that was believable. That your great grandparents came to Dakota and built this cabin and never left it. Their children never left it and so on.

I'd say that documenting it is almost impossible.

Roy Helge Rasmussen

I live in the southern part of norway and can find my way around most of the country. I will answer questions about social life, culture, language and politics to the best of my knowledge. I am not so good at travel tips outside the south-eastern parts, although I will try to answer.

I live here and have been guiding members of my family around when they visit from abroad for years.