Nuclear Power/Nuclear power in Australia

Question
Hi Dr Welter
I am a student in grade 12 in Australia and am currently trying to answer my question which is 'Should Australia adopt nuclear power?' As I understand, we currently have no nuclear power plants operating in Australia. I was wondering if you could provide me with an insight into the benefits and disadvantages of nuclear power in a country that has never used it before. Specifically cost, effectiveness versus other forms of energy, safety and environmental impact. I am currently studying physics and chemistry and have an understanding of how nuclear power plants work, so any scientific input you could add would also be extremely useful.

Thank you

Answer
Jaya, thank you for the question! Nuclear power is a safe way to provide carbon free baseload power to cities. I would recommend the following presentation as an excellent source of pros and cons of nuclear power in Australia.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/shado/Divisions/Sydney%  

Nuclear Power

Dr. Kent Welter