Number Theory/Ratio & Fractional Relationship

Perhaps you can help define what the following indicates:

"A percent is another way of expressing the ratio or fractional relationship of two numbers."

Let's use the two amounts 10 and 25. Would the following be correct?

40% is another way of expressing the ratio [10 to 25] or fractional relationship [10/25] of two numbers [10 and 25], or is it something else.

I thank you for your reply

Hello Kenneth
I don't entirely agree with the word ratio, but it may be OK.  Usually % is a ratio of a part to a whole.   As in 'over 50% of the worlds population is female'. But we could also say something like 'UK population is less than 10% of the population of China'. This simply states a ratio other than a part to a whole.
So, yes, I can agree with the definition.

Number Theory

Most questions on number theory, divisibility, primes, Euclidean algorithm, Fermat`s theorem, Wilson`s theorem, factorisation, euclidean algorithm, diophantine equations, Chinese remainder theorem, group theory, congruences, continued fractions.

Teacher of math for 53 years

AQA Doncaster Bridge Club Danum Strings Orchestra Doncaster Conservative Club Danum Strings Orchestra Simply Voices Choir Doncaster TNS mystery shopping St Paul's Music Group Cantley

Journal of mathematics and its applications M500 magazine

BSc (Hons) Liverpool (Science). BA (Hons) OU (Mathematics)

State Scholarship 1955 Highest Score in Yorkshire on OU course MST209 50 prize First class honours in OU BA Mathematics

I taught John Birt, former Director of the BBC in 1961. His homework book was the most perfect I have ever marked. And also the most neat. I could tell he was destined for great things. One of my classmates was the poet Roger McGough, and I have a mention in his autobiography.