Number Theory/Ratio & Fractional Relationship

Question
Hello:

Perhaps you can help define what the following indicates:

"A percent is another way of expressing the ratio or fractional relationship of two numbers."

Let's use the two amounts 10 and 25. Would the following be correct?

40% is another way of expressing the ratio [10 to 25] or fractional relationship [10/25] of two numbers [10 and 25], or is it something else.

I thank you for your reply

Answer
Hello Kenneth
I don't entirely agree with the word ratio, but it may be OK.  Usually % is a ratio of a part to a whole.   As in 'over 50% of the worlds population is female'. But we could also say something like 'UK population is less than 10% of the population of China'. This simply states a ratio other than a part to a whole.
So, yes, I can agree with the definition.

Regards

vijilant  

Number Theory

Vijilant