Number Theory/rounding and truncation

Question
I am stuck.  I am trying to come up with real world examples of when one might use truncation vs. rounding, but am having a difficult time.  Not sure if I am making this harder than it needs to be or not.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
If we had posters that were 2' wide and they were to fit in an area 9' wide with no overlapping pictures, we could only use 4 of them, for 4*2 is 8.  One more would be 5, and 5*2=10, which makes them overlap.

If we had 4' sections of pipe that we could join perfectly and we were filling an 19' section,
that would be 4 pieces, giving us 4*4' = 16', and then 3/4 of one more piece, for 3' more.
That would be 16' + 3' = 19'.

There is an example of each.

Basically, finding how many can fit without overlapping gives a truncation and finding how many fit exactly gives a division.  This can be done in other areas as well.

Number Theory

Scott A Wilson