Number Theory/HCF

The HCF of (a-1)(a^3 + m) and (a+1)(a^3 - n) and (a+1)(a^2 - n) is a^2 - 1, find the values of m and n.
Please answer it fast.

I just managed to get to my PC again, and here is my answer.

Note that the factors of a^2 - 1 are (a+1) and (a-1).
If each of the terms is divided by this, we get
 (a^3 + m)/(a+1),
 (a^3-n)/(a-1), and

For the 1st fraction be divisible by (a+1), m needs to be +1, for then the top factors in
(a+1)(a^2 - a + 1), so the result is a^2 - a - 1.

For the 2nd fraction to be divisible by a-1, the top needs to have n as 1.
The result of this would be (a^3-1)/(a-1) = a^2 + a + 1.

The same is true for the 3rd fraction, in that here again n needs to be 1.
The result is then (a^2 - 1)/(a-1) = (a+1)(a-1)/(a-1) = a+1.  

Number Theory

Scott A Wilson

I can answer almost anything that is sent in. If I can't, I'll let you know, but I don't expect that to happen much.

I have known about number theory since the mid 80's. I have answered over 250 questions on Number Theory with this software. Altogether, I have answered over 8,500 questions in mathematics.

You're looking at it ... I've answered over 8,500 quesitons in mathematics right here.

My credentials are an MS in Mathematics at Oregon State in 1986; I received a BS in Mathematics at the same place in 1984.

I graduated with honors in Mathematics when getting my BS degree and my MS degree.

I have assisted many students in mathematics at OSU. Perhaps I have assisted one of you're friends in math on a computer somewhere else, but you don't even know... That would be late last night, perhaps with thousands of miles between us ... Then again, if you're in Washington, so am I ...