Number Theory/Ratios & Complex Fractions

I'm not sure this question is related to the category of number theory, but perhaps you can offer an answer.

Should ratios contain only whole numbers and not any fractional numbers?

For example, 8:1, 2:5 have whole numbers. The ratios 2.5:10 and 1:4.5 do not have just whole numbers entirely.

If it is incorrect to express a ratio with fractional numbers, why are complex fractions correct?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: If the ratio is 2:5, a ratio of 1:2.5 is the same thing or 2.5:6.25, but most people stay away from fractions in ratios.  If one of the numbers is a 1 and the other a fraction, it could be used, but most people stick strictly to integers.

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply!

Is there a logical reason for most people using whole numbers in ratios? I know no more than I did before I sent my first question!

They are far easier to understand.  All other ratios can be converted to whole numbers.

Just think about it - to most people, saying they have a 2/3 chance gives them a good idea that it is a little more likely to occur than not.  If you told them the chance was 1.38 / 2.07, most people would say, 'Huh?'.  Now if math is known in detail, that's [2*.69] / [3*.69], so it reduces to 2/3, but makes far less sense.

Number Theory

Scott A Wilson

I can answer almost anything that is sent in. If I can't, I'll let you know, but I don't expect that to happen much.

I have known about number theory since the mid 80's. I have answered over 250 questions on Number Theory with this software. Altogether, I have answered over 8,500 questions in mathematics.

You're looking at it ... I've answered over 8,500 quesitons in mathematics right here.

My credentials are an MS in Mathematics at Oregon State in 1986; I received a BS in Mathematics at the same place in 1984.

I graduated with honors in Mathematics when getting my BS degree and my MS degree.

I have assisted many students in mathematics at OSU. Perhaps I have assisted one of you're friends in math on a computer somewhere else, but you don't even know... That would be late last night, perhaps with thousands of miles between us ... Then again, if you're in Washington, so am I ...